Friday, April 9, 2010

Quick Update

First off, I apologize for the delay in my posts, but this week has been especially busy for me. I am going to try to post as often as I can, but with the "busy season" of work and the end of the semester coming together like a perfect storm these next couple months, I can't promise anything.

Secondly, since I know that my last two (or first two?) posts were pretty heavy and deep (and as Michael Scott would say, "that's what she said..."), so I am only going to give some quick updates.

Quick updates:

Quitting Smoking My (not) smoking has been hard, but overall, I feel good about it. With the exception of 2 cigarettes, I have been smoke-free since April 1st. (I know that even 1 cigarette means that I am starting over again, but I am optimistic because I still haven't had one since Tuesday.) The first week was brutal, but this week has been a little easier. I expect it to get even easier as I go along, but still need to be careful not to ever think it is actually "easy." I also set a goal for myself that once I go 2 months without a cigarette, I am going to strongly consider getting a motorcycle. (I know that some of you see that as counterproductive- giving up one thing that could kill me for another, but that is something I have wanted for a while now. I also figure it would be a great reward with the summer coming up...and I think my girlfriend will like the motorcycle more than she realizes.)

Dieting I haven't really been focusing too much on being really strict on what I eat, but I have been more conscientious about it, since I think that quitting smoking is more important that losing weight right now. I am hoping to maintain or lose a few pounds the first few weeks of quitting smoking, and I think that the running will help with that as well. I did step on the scale for the first time in a while, and I am up to 209- 20 pounds more than my lowest weight, but still below what I have been in the past (for those who were wondering, 265 pounds in 2001 was my highest). My eventual goal is somewhere around 175-180. That being said, I am focusing on eating well when I am at home and during the work week- the only times I haven't been as disciplined is when I have been eating out.

Half-marathon training Although it has been less than a week, this is the aspect that has been going flawlessly so far. I ran 3 times this week, and am on pace with the training schedule for the half-marathon. My training plan has me running 4 times per week, and my first "long run" (only 4 miles) is this weekend. I am also going to try to figure out how to post my running routes and times up on this blog as I do them, but haven't figured it out yet. I also want to give thanks to my sister for running with me in the mornings- it is always much easier to do it with someone else.

UPDATE: I figured out how to post my routes on the blog, I will try to post them once I finish them now.

I am going to try to find some time to post something this weekend which has nothing to do with this stuff, since I promised that this blog was going to be entertaining, and I feel like it has just been the equivalent of a therapy session. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

8 comments:

  1. I'd like to read some stories about Dunkin, maybe about how you're giving him steak tips or some other delicious treat in my absence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never quit quitting I say! Also, a good way to eat out and lose weight is to use the soup diet! Every restaurant has soup, and the better the restaurant the better the soup! Trust me - it works! Keep up the good work - I see success in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Dad tells you he wants to hear about Dunkin on the blog. Maybe Dad should just start a blog for Dunkin...hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only does dad want to hear about Dunkin, but if Vicky had a blog all he would want to hear about is Tyson...The things that run his life...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and if you get a motorcycle, Andy's going to think he should get one too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let's say yes to a blog about Dunkin and no to motorcycles and smoking! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes to Dunkin, Tyson, Taffy, and Harleys! Oh, and Luai, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you have any other fans of your blog besides your family and Tricia? hehehe...

    ReplyDelete